Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Doubts


















I have started putting the plot in place and the first chapter seems to be ready. I am following the Kurtzman style of scripting. This format allows a freedom with thinking of visual in parallel terms with the text coming along. This helps you in seeing the right balance required of both the components. I am trying to retain the past - present lapse of time used in my earlier book. Firstly, I thought that it is going to be gimmicky. But a controlled use helps to break the linear flow of narrative.
I tried some character sketches of mine. When drawing after scripting, you get much more options of depicting the character. It keeps the sketches look less stiff and enhances the qualities to be shown in it. 




































The second drawing of me in the house-fly killing mode is something that came out of the scripting. I quite like this one in particular. But the amount of doubts swarming in my head as I am progressing with the book is maddening. Sharing some which I listed during the scripting - 
1. Am I hurrying the book by framing a timeline? When looking at good graphic novels, the time taken to finish those goes in 3-5 years timeline. Am I being too quick in the method? If I become slow, then it irritates me for not doing enough work. Where is my patience....the leap of faith?
2. Is the subject coming out well or it needs more time to evolve?
3. How much to put and what to leave? I am afraid that many things from the written script are not so helpful in the building of the plot. But its difficult to say that for sure. Is sticking to the main theme going to sacrifice the smaller sub plots? Am I losing my reader's attention?
4. And lastly....Am I good enough to do this? Good enough to pull this off... I surely can't do a half baked job here. So, have I acquired all the skills to do this book well?


Too many doubts. Charles M. Schulz can be of some help with his words - 
"I never give my work to somebody else and say, "What do you think about that?" I just don't trust anybody. If I think it's funny, or if I think it's silly, I send it in anyway because I'm just trying to please myself. I never try to please a certain audience. I think that's disastrous. There's no way in the world you can anticipate what your reader is going to like or dislike."


"If I were a better artist, I'd be a painter, and if I were a better writer, I'd write books - but I'm not, so I draw cartoons!"


Sigh...

2 comments:

  1. My dear shammi,
    Your doubts and feelings are quite natural because somewhere in the deep recess of your mind is that feeling that you have left the story incomplete and that the book had given you a recognition, and then everyone is looking up to you as you have that fine sense of weaving the intricacies of past and present memories subtly and elegantly. I agree with Sir Charles- an artist must be pleased with his own creation first to create a master piece. so take your time, don't hurry framing a time limit, let your thoughts flow free, and you that have that inner strength, boundless patience and perseverance. Just retain it.

    ReplyDelete